Job title: Senior Technical Architect
Location: Edinburgh office although hybrid-working expected
Travel required: Limited - to support project demands
Position type: Full time
Role and Responsibilities include
- Provide architectural input and direction for all Criterion development and maintenance work, and architectural and technical support to Requirements gathering and analysis.
- Enhance technology strategy and maintain Criterion’s roadmap of technology threats and opportunities.
- Lead design and development activities to deliver technical artefacts, including XML Schema, JSON Schema, OpenAPI definitions, and example data structures in XML and JSON, that meet functional and non-functional requirements documented by Criterion’s Business Analysts across development and enhancement projects.
- Participate in and/or facilitate industry Project Working Groups as required.
- Work with Project Managers on resource estimating. Deliver all architectural activities to the budget, timescales and quality criteria of the relevant development project or maintenance release through the complete life-cycle of the XML, json and other artefacts through which Criterion defines Standards.
- Maintain a comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date repository of technical artefacts (models, diagrams, specifications, user guides, other documentation, etc.) for Criterion’s services. Classify these artefacts as internal or customer-facing.
- Support ongoing improvements to the architecture of Criterion’s propositions to ensure a robust, fit-for-purpose suite meeting the varied needs of the stakeholders such as flexibility, cost, implementability, etc.
- Contribute to the best-practice use of underlying technologies, methods and tools in line with market developments and supplier upgrades. Identify opportunities to use technologies and tools to improve the accuracy and efficiency of Criterion’s development cycle.
- Manage key relationships with Project Managers, Business Analysts and other Technical Architects in the team, to contribute to the overall success of the Development function; with Criterion’s customer community, for market developments and understand emerging requirements and new directions,; and with Head of Standards for direction and escalation.
- Provide sales support to Criterion’s Sales and Marketing function, e.g. supplying supporting documentation, attending pre-sales meetings and industry events, etc., where technology input is required.
- Undertake knowledge and skills transfer with colleagues and wider team.
- Timely and diligent recording of time spent to support accurate project accounting and reporting.
- Support internal infrastructure decisions and provide ongoing support as relevant.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- At least 5 years’ experience as Lead Developer or Architect, ideally within an IT development context.
- Education to degree level preferred but not essential.
Considerable experience in the following is essential:
- XML Schema design and construction.
- JSON Schema design and construction.
- Designing and delivering and APIs, with particular reference to Swagger / OpenAPI.
- XML technologies, such as XSLT, XML Schema, XPath, etc.
- Data exchange using HTTPS and sFTP, including security considerations at rest and in transit.
- Architecture skills and frameworks.
- Use Case interpretation.
- Process Modelling and Entity Relationship/Data Modelling.
- SOA development practices and governance.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including facilitation, presentation and customer-facing engagement.
- Capable of working individually, in a small team environment, and with a broad group of stakeholders.
Exposure to the following would be desirable:
- Architect Modelling tools.
- Development and project management methodologies (e.g. Prince 2, Agile).
- Experience of Financial Services.
- Educated to degree level in a computing-related discipline.
- Ability to form strong working relationships in the Financial Services industry.